why does -sharevts is so important for multseat setup?

Aivils Štoss aivils at latnet.lv
Tue Aug 21 10:44:35 PDT 2012

Citējot "StompDagger1 at yahoo.com" <stompdagger1 at yahoo.com>:

> Hello,
>

> I have a multiseat setup and where I'm experiencing lose of
> keystrokes in the second seat.
> I'm using hotpluged (via udev) feature, what  I do noticed that if I
> press CRTL+ALT+F1on seat 2, seat1 goes to cli.
> for now I'm putting udev aside on this matter and try to concentrate
> on X part, while searching the web I've found a article that
> mentions that such issue can happen due to the -sharevts.
>
> I wanted to know, why multiseat setup needs to share vts? why if I
> take out this feature, one of the seats doesn't lights up?

Normally kernel sends key press events to applications via /dev/ttyXX
device files. Each Xorg open single /dev/ttyXX file and receive
keyboard events. /dev/ttyXX was designed to support single active
application like Xorg. When one X became active then another
suspended. So single end-user can easy switch between multiple X
instances. Multiseat have another mission. That is a reason of
-sharevts. Active X does not try to suspend another X via /dev/ttyXX.
In reality /dev/ttyXX stay unused under multiseat, because every X
receive events from keyboards via /dev/input/eventXX device files.

As alternative You can hack the Linux kernel with faketty (outdated) module.

Aivils Stoss