Netiquette: No HTML messages please. (was: [ANNOUNCE] glamor 0.5.0)

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Aug 12 06:49:04 PDT 2012

At Sun, 12 Aug 2012 10:13:30 -0300 Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it? shame... one would think that some sort of slow-speed DSL would be
> > possible even on pots lines very very far from the exchange.... I remember
> > reading that in Australia Telstra used some ´repeaters´ on the copper lines
> > allowing DSL to reach distances that were previously thought to be too far
> > for DSL. Although details about it are a bit foggy on my memory, as I read
> > about it many years ago.
>

> FWIW and not to leave any loose ends in the argument, found it, here´s what
> I read about Telstra´s device that could bring DSL even for people up to
> 20km away (12 miles) from the phone exchange
> http://whirlpool.net.au/news/?id=1432&show=replies

OK, this is just a DSLAM.  Rural America is not as 'remote' as the
Australian Outback.  Verizon has plenty of 1st gen DSLAMs (pulled when
the denser suburban areas were wired with FIOS), they just are not
interested in bothering with rural America, since the customer base is
not dense enough to be profitable.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com