xrandr confusion over different options that do the same thing

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 06:20:41 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Kai Hendry <hendry at webconverger.com> wrote:
> On 25 April 2012 20:49, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Then perhaps provide instructions to walk them through the process?
>
> Well, atm I tell the to go into debug mode and launch a terminal.
> Which is obviously too difficult for many.
>
>> Is all the hw the same or does it vary from kiosk to kiosk?  Maybe you
>
> Varies. We are installed in places where the machines can be donated/recycled.
>
>> could create a GUI that's only available in configuration mode in
>> order to aid your local admins?  Or don't allow the local admin to
>
> Sounds like a PITA for me to implement. Once they know, then they have
> to write out the config of the form:
> xrandr=--output%20HDMI1%20--rotate%20left
> http://webconverger.org/boot
>
> It's a bit of a disaster really.

If all they are doing is rotating the screen, you could just include
an xorg.conf with several monitor sections whose identifiers match the
connector names and then specify the rotation there.  Then they will
be rotated automatically when X starts.  E.g.,

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier      "HDMI1"
    Option "Rotate" "left"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier      "LVDS1"
    Option "Rotate" "left"
EndSection

etc.

See the xorg.conf man page or this page:
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

Alex