Limitations on XV output?

Rogério Brito rbrito at ime.usp.br
Tue Apr 24 22:24:01 PDT 2012

Hi there.

I just filed a bug report [0] in Debian's BTS saying that I am unable
to play a video downloaded from youtube [1], whose dimensions are
2542x1080.

[0]: http://bugs.debian.org/670236
[1]: http://youtu.be/yQ5U8suTUw0

Unfortunately, I have not been able to play said video (which I got
with youtube-dl) on my Intel computers (I have one AMD, but it is not
accessible right now to test), and, reading the source code of
mplayer2 (or mplayer, for that matter), I saw that the limitation to
play videos come from the dimensions of the buffers that XV reports to
the player.

In particular, mplayer2 tells me that it can only play videos with a
maximum resolution of 2048x2048 pixels, and the execution of mplayer2
is aborted at that point.

So, my question is: is this a limitation in software or is this an
intrinsic limitation of the hardware that Intel releases? For the
record, I see this behavior on motherboards that have a 865 (a
desktop) and a Sandy Bridge (notebook) chipset.

Any help with this would be welcome.

Thanks,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA