xwininfo fails to convert window title string.

mikolaj mikolaj at lavabit.com
Fri Apr 13 08:22:28 PDT 2012

Hello,

I encountered a problem which makes it impossible to use some programs
that depend on an ability to retrieve window title:

mikolaj at xxx ~ $ xwininfo

xwininfo: Please select the window about which you
           would like information by clicking the
           mouse in that window.

xwininfo: Window id: 0x2400068 " (failure in conversion from UTF8_STRING
to ANSI_X3.4-1968)"

   Absolute upper-left X:  0
   Absolute upper-left Y:  54
   Relative upper-left X:  0
   Relative upper-left Y:  23
   Width: 1400
   Height: 996
   Depth: 24
   Visual: 0x21
   Visual Class: TrueColor
   Border width: 0
   Class: InputOutput
   Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
   Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
   Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
   Backing Store State: NotUseful
   Save Under State: no
   Map State: IsViewable
   Override Redirect State: no
   Corners:  +0+54  -0+54  -0-0  +0-0
   -geometry 1400x996+0-0

The window I targeted was firefox browser with exactly one tab opened,
on website http://allegro.pl. I am not sure if I can include the title
(it is fully visible on the window bar) here as it contains non-english
characters. However the url is valid and one can easily check if this
behaviour can be reproduced. Moreover I wasn`t able to find any other
website that would cause such behaviour.

The relevant applications versions:

xwininfo-1.1.2
libX11-1.4.4
xorg-server-1.11.2-r2