Triple-head setup advice sought

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 06:20:34 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 7:07 AM, Ben Bucksch <linux.news at bucksch.org> wrote:
> On 06.04.2012 12:23, Alan Cox wrote:
>>
>> I'm using a cheap Radeon (HD5430 I think). Does the job, runs three
>> heads. Probably useless for high end gaming but that wasn't on my
>> requirement list.
>

> Thanks, Alan, for the recommendation. But that's a notebook chip. Could you
> double-check the model number?

Any evergreen (HD5xxx) radeon or newer with a displayport connection
can support more than two displays.  The only restriction is that only
two non-displayport monitors are supported (all additional monitors
must be displayport).  Depending on the asic, they support up to 4 or
6 independent monitors.

Alex