net-color spec renamed to X Color Management

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Sep 27 23:12:10 PDT 2011

Am 27.09.11, 21:53 -0600 schrieb Matt Dew:
> Is this related to GNOME's color management stuff in this article:
> http://libregraphicsworld.org/articles.php?article_id=42

I guess Gnome is discussing colour management inside the toolkit. But they
have not yet much outlined on the Gnome email list, what they really
want, let alone what strategy to take. This article is fuzzy in this
regard as well.

So they might want to write to a own offscreen texture, do compositing in
a internal engine and write that to a final screen buffer in monitor
space. In this case the value of the X Color Management spec is, that a
toolkit can offload the correction of a transformed drawing to a window
manager.
Thus it needs to handle fewer implementation details just for fuzzy
animation effects. The X Color Management spec acts then like a
integration point for various toolkits, who deploy the same common colour
correction technic. If Qt uses the same spec then they can work seamless
together. The same happens for Gtk applications on KWin.

One major pit fall related to colour management is a missing concept of a
intermediate blending colour space. But that needs to be made clear very
early in the architectural design process of a colour management strategy.
If that is solved internally of the clients/toolkits, then the X Color
Management spec can be correctly deployed. If it is not, they have
problems all over with colour management.

I have elaborated a bit more in a blog article for interessted readers:
http://oyranos-cms.blogspot.com/2011/09/colour-correction-concepts-for-monitors.html

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management
oyranos-cms.blogspot.com oy at freenode#openicc