Issues running Xorg in 8 bit color mode:q

Doug Kuvaas doug.kuvaas at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 08:00:04 PDT 2011

2011/9/19 Sérgio Basto <sergio at serjux.com>:
> On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 12:38 -0500, Doug Kuvaas wrote:
>> I will give fbdev a try.  vesa doesn't work properly.  Otherwise I
>> will have to try hacking the video driver, which might be the better
>> option.
>
> It is strange vesa not working properly, should work.
>
> You could try with vnc :
> vncserver :1 -depth 8
> and
> vncviewer :1 (or krdc fromkdenetwork)
>
> I can't start kde4 vncserver of my user logged , but works out of the
> box , if I use other user for example:
> su - teste
> vncserver :1
> works pretty
>
> Regards,
> --
> Sérgio M. B.

When I was looking into getting the Nvidia proprietary driver working,
I found that the nomodeset kernel flag had to be set for the driver to
work properly.  Once I did that, the vesa driver did work.  I've got
the 8 bit color working, however when I run just Xorg from the command
line the Backing Store option is being ignored by my client.  In a
separate thread, it looks to me like the client is incorrectly
handling the backing store.