Issues running Xorg in 8 bit color mode:q

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Fri Sep 16 10:32:41 PDT 2011

On Fre, 2011-09-16 at 07:44 -0500, Doug Kuvaas wrote:
> 2011/9/16 Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net>
>         On Don, 2011-09-15 at 14:26 -0500, Doug Kuvaas wrote:
>         > I have a legacy application that is run from a UNIX host
>         computer that
>         > does not function properly if executed with color depths
>         greater than
>         > 8 bits.  When I try to run Xorg in the form of Xorg :0 +bs
>         -wm -retro
>         > -depth 8 -fbbpp 8, all I end up with is grayscale, no color
>         at all.
>

>         See
>         http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2011-January/018452.html . A
>         sad example of perfect being the enemy of better...
>
> Does this mean that want I want to do is no longer supported by Xorg?
> Or do I need to build a more recent version?  RandR isn't needed by my
> application, so that can certainly be left out if need be

I'm afraid that doesn't matter. Until it's fixed in the X server, the
options I see for you are basically:

      * Hack the video driver you use not to set the gamma_set member of
        xf86CrtcFuncsRec.
      * Use a driver that doesn't support RandR 1.2 or newer, e.g. fbdev
        or vesa.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com