Simultaneous ServerLayouts

Chi-Thanh Christopher Nguyen chithanh at gentoo.org
Mon Sep 5 11:06:45 PDT 2011

Petri Garagorri <pgaragorri <at> ctio.noao.edu> writes:

> Is it possible to have different layouts working at the same time?
> For instance, for 8 monitors and 2 quad ATI videocards, can I configure
> the system in such a way that I can get 2x 2 monitor desktops and 1x 4
> monitor desktop?

If by "desktop" you mean a separate X session with its own keyboard and mouse,
then probably you will get best results by running 1 X server for 1 GPU.

In your case that would mean 1 single-GPU card that supports 4 monitors
(Sapphire 5670 Flex is the least expensive I am aware of) for the 4-monitor
desktop, and 2 cards (or 1 dual-GPU card) for the 2-monitor desktops.

Setups where one X server spans multiple GPUs or where you run multiple X
servers on one GPU can be tricky, and you might lose hardware acceleration.

Best regards,
Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn