Strange problem that might be a hardware malfunction.[Follow up]

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Nov 12 17:41:32 PST 2011

On 11/10/2011 09:34 PM, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> I had a Radeon 9200 video card which I used for some time.  For
> apparently no reason, it started showing vertical Magenta stripes that
> are in the frame buffer since they also showed up in a screen shot:
>
> http://on.fb.me/sGUVX3
>
> I have a lot of parts sitting around so I tried a Radeon 9250 and
> things improved.  But still similar problems.
>
> http://on.fb.me/sGUVX3
>
> Look closely at the icons and the scroll bar.  I have the similar
> Magenta vertical stripes that flicker on when the screen redraws.
> Also I have green vertical stripes in photographs and dark colors.
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I am presuming that it
> is hardware but it would be a coincidence if two graphics cards had
> similar issues.  I tried another mother board and it made no
> significant difference.
>
> I am using the "radeon" driver: xf86-video-ati-6.12.4 and Linux 3.0.4
> with X.Org 1.7.1.  All 32 bit.

Thank you for the assistance.

I tried the X1650 and it has problems too.

I am not facing a simple quandary.  Either I have three defective video
cards or there is something wrong with the AGP socket on my
motherboard.  I am going to explore the possibility that the AGP socket
is the problem.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch