rotate display

Neil Whelchel neil.whelchel at casinfosystems.com
Thu Nov 3 14:12:57 PDT 2011

This has been a major thorn in my side with Nvidia. Their driver does not
support rotating a single display, it is all or nothing.
The work-around is to use Xinerama. I have included the related parts of my
config file, monitor 0 is normal and monitors 1 and 2 are rotated.
As far as I can tell, both Damage and Composite extensions are not working
with Xinerama, but I left the related configuration in the config file, so that
if this ever changes, the configuration may be valid. If you wish to use
rotation that differs between monitors along with Damage and Composite, you are
likely out of luck with the Nvidia driver, and my talks with Nvidia revealed
that they are not likely to fix this any time in the near future.
-Neil-

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 500
    Screen      1  "Screen1" 1920 0
    Screen      2  "Screen2" 3120 120
    Option         "Xinerama" "1"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Device0"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName      "GeForce GT 440"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option     "backingstore" "true"
        Option      "DamageEvents" "True"
        Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
        Option  "AllowGLXWithComposite"  "true"
        Option          "RenderAccel"           "true"
        Screen          0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Device1"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName      "GeForce GT 440"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option     "backingstore" "true"
        Option      "DamageEvents" "True"
        Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
        Option  "AllowGLXWithComposite"  "true"
        Option          "RenderAccel"           "true"
        Option   "Rotate"   "left"
        Screen          1
EndSection

Section "Device"