Setting keyboard autorepeat rate with xkb?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue May 31 15:31:37 PDT 2011

On 05/31/11 03:16 PM, Chris Frey wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 06:09:35PM -0400, Marty Jack wrote:
>> Your average desktop environment has a way to configure it per user
>> with persistent storage for the value.  If you aren't running a desktop
>> environment, you would run xset somewhere in the startup script for the
>> user session.  There's always taking the default, which seems sensible
>> enough to me for ordinary usage.
>
> Thanks for your patience.  True, if I were using a desktop environment,
> this would be a no-brainer.
>
> I was just surprised that this setting got moved away from a consistent
> location the same everywhere, to a location that depends on what desktop
> or distro you use.

The commit you referred to was only in the kbd driver, which is hardly
consistent, as almost all Linux distros use the evdev driver, while kbd
is for non-Linux distros (BSD, Solaris, etc.).

The X server command line options -ardelay & -arinterval should still work
across all drivers & distros though - see Xserver(1) for details.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com