Setting keyboard autorepeat rate with xkb?

Marty Jack martyj19 at comcast.net
Tue May 31 15:09:35 PDT 2011

On 05/31/2011 05:49 PM, Chris Frey wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 05:26:26PM -0400, Marty Jack wrote:
>> XkbGetControls( , XkbRepeatKeysMask, );
>> xkb_desc->ctrls->repeat_interval = ;
>> XkbSetControls( , XkbRepeatKeysMask,)
>>
>> Advice to use xset is a big hint because you can look at its code to find the programmatic way.
>

> Thanks.  I wasn't looking for the programmatic way, though.  I assumed
> that if a config-file based autorepeat option was taken away, then there
> would be a config-file based option available in xkb.
>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding the role of xkb.  There appears to be lots of
> config file support for multiple keyboard layouts, etc, but none for
> autorepeat.
>
> But from the above answer, it would appear that from the admin's point
> of view, xset is the only way?  I find this so stunning that I'm
> apparently asking dumb questions on the mailing list. :-)
>
> Is xset really the only way?
>
> Thanks,
> - Chris

Your average desktop environment has a way to configure it per user with persistent storage for the value.  If you aren't running a desktop environment, you would run xset somewhere in the startup script for the user session.  There's always taking the default, which seems sensible enough to me for ordinary usage.