X11 forwarding

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat May 28 08:34:59 PDT 2011

On Saturday, May 28, 2011 11:23:13 AM Sérgio Basto did opine:

> On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 10:54 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > Where can I find a tut that will show me how to make X11 forwarding
> > work like it used to 2-3 years ago?
> >
> > The usual "ssh -Y -l gene shop" hasn't worked right in quite a while,
> > basically from the responses I'm seeing about bad UUID's. because gene
> > on this pclos box is UUID 500, and gene on the shop (ubuntu 10.4 LTS)
> > box is UUID 1000.  Whomever decided that UUID's were the cats meow
> > rather then the login name, has made it very very difficult to do
> > what should be a very simple task.
>
> Hi,
> at: /etc/ssh/sshd_config
> now the default is no, edit and
> put :
> X11Forwarding yes
>
> and restart sshd

On the ubuntu box, I had apparently BTDT.  It was commented out on this
pclos box.  Set it & restarted sshd here.

gedit's gui does display ok, but I'm a vim guy, and it complains.

That machines main function is to run emc as its tied to a cnc milling
machine.  The emc gui will not properly forward if the gui being used is
axis.  tkemc, which has no backplot function, does run, but that is a very
simple gui, not as useful as axis.  So maybe this isn't a UUID problem, but
that is what vim complains about.

Example:

In my attempt to demo it by editing a file with vim, it worked flawlessly.
Me, goes off scratching head.  Damned computers will be the end of me yet.

Thanks Sergio.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)