Ideas for X improvement.

David Jackson djackson452 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 15:35:09 PDT 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Alan Coopersmith <
alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:

> On 05/25/11 01:54 PM, David Jackson wrote:
> > I looked for information on vnc.so on Tightvnc's website.
>
> Tiger, not Tight, and yes, their website doesn't publish the documentation
> for
> their software, complain to them.
>
> > There are no
> > instructions or documentations there on how one would even use it. I
> suspect it
> > probably wouldnt work at all if it exists, or would be difficult or
> impossible
> > for a user to get it to work.
>
> Wow, won't even try, just assume it can't possibly work?   I wonder why so
> many
> Linux distros ship it then - must be mass delusion.
>
> > X.org should ship a driver for VNC server access.
>
> Feel free to write and submit one under a suitable license, keeping in mind
> that
> all existing VNC code is GPL, so you'll have to write it from scratch.
> Meanwhile, the rest of the world will be happily using the existing code
> that works.
>
> > Xvnc is quickly becoming useless. KDE apps no longer really work with
> > it anymore.
>
> Sounds like you're using an obsolete version of Xvnc.
>
> --
>         -Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
>         Oracle Solaris Platform Engineering: X Window System

I did download and build tigervnc. No vnc.so anywhere to be seen. None.
Nada. Also no documentation or mention of such a thing or how it would be
used anywhere in the distribution.

x11vnc does not work well. it is markedly slower than Xvnc

I have the latest version of Xvnc from RealVNC. I also tried tightvnc Xvnc,
it supported even fewer extensions and even fewer applications worked
properly on that. Neither works properly. Konqueror fails to run on both.
Flash videos have also stopped working. Qt applications are not working.

If people are using Xvnc and x11vnc, i dont know how they can tolerate it.