replace nv with nouveau

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon May 23 06:11:59 PDT 2011

On Monday, May 23, 2011 09:01:43 AM Tai-Lin Chu did opine:

> I dont know whether this has been discussed or not, but it would be
> nice if xserver enables nouveau by default.

I personally would be in favor of that, for the simple reason that it would
result in a huge spike in bug reports that would speed its development.
Only if nouveau was not available for an nvidia card, should it choose vesa
as the fallback.

However, please be aware that there are applications, typically those that
also need the RTAI kernel conversion, which will not be happy with anything
but the vesa driver regardless of the logo on the video cards box.  Vesa
seems to be the only driver that doesn't hog interrupts, destroying the
very essence of hard, realtime control demanded by machine controlling
software where the machine being controlled is driven by stepper motors.