unable open xterm

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen eirik at opera.com
Mon May 9 22:42:07 PDT 2011

Usuário do Sistema <maiconlp at ig.com.br> writes:

> Thank you Thomas.
>
> but it wasn't work.
>
> 1- bash-3.2# xterm -display :0.0    ( here I was logged by SSH using
> Puty from my windows machine )
>
> Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the root user.
> The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted
> in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running the
> program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the executable.
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s
>

> 2- bash-3.2# xhost +localhost
> xhost:  unable to open display ":0.0"

Are you sure that there is a running X server on that computer?

It seems to me that you are trying to make the window appear on the X
server without a monitor.  Is that really true?  I would have thought
that it would be more useful to have the xterm window appear on the
monitor that you can actually see.

> Em 9 de maio de 2011 18:07, Thomas Dickey <dickey at his.com> escreveu:
>>
>> If you're logged in as root, then the X libraries (from ~10 years ago)
>> will ignore the $DISPLAY variable.  It used to be a reliable workaround
>> to simply use the -display option (but I've seen a few machines where that's
>> been broken).  That is
>>
>>        xterm -display :0.0
>>
>> As noted, if you were using ssh -X, then the display would be set more/less
>> automatically.

Except that it seems he is trying make the xterm window appear on the X
server that does not have a monitor connected.  ssh -X would try to make
the xterm window open on the monitor which he is looking at.

eirik