evdev devices in xorg.conf

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon May 2 23:21:37 PDT 2011

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 07:47:24AM +0200, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
> On 2011-05-03 07:32, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> >On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 07:52:42PM +0200, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
> >>Kubuntu 11.04 fresh install
> >>
> >>I'm trying to set up a 3-seat multiseat system but for now I have
> >>installed only 1 VGA card and want to get the correct xorg.conf
> >>contents before I add the other two seats.
> >>
> >>The system comes up OK, but after a minute or two, the desktop freezes.
> >>
> >>I'd be grateful if someone could pass comment on the attached
> >>xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log files.
> >>
> >>Thanks in advance,
> >>Zoltan
> >>--
> >[...]
> >
> >>[    11.444] (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
> >>[   221.625] (WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT (2, 6, 0x8000, 0xf7f7ffff, 0x0004fe20)
> >>[   222.235] [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an
> >>infinite loop.
> >
> >looks like the nvidia driver is at fault here. note that this is not an
> >evdev bug, evdev just exposes it because it tries to enqueue more input
> >events but the server isn't processing them anymore.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >   Peter
>
> Hi All,
> I've got it to a stage where I get the KDM login screen with full
> mouse & keyboard functionality.
> After I login, the mouse & keyboard drops out before the desktop appears.
> Using ssh I get into the system and check Xorg.0.log, to find that
> the 'EE' error points to: (EE) PreInit returned 8 for "Logitech USB
> Receiver"

that just means that the device didn't get added for some reason. Nothing
that should affect the working of the server (other than that you obviously
can't use this device). If you ssh in before, you'll probably notice that
this line is already in the log while you're logging in. from your last
backtrace, it's the graphics driver that hangs.

Cheers,
  Peter