recover a broken installation

Philipp Hagemeister phihag at phihag.de
Mon May 2 05:50:44 PDT 2011

Hi Piyush,

your problem seems to be unrelated to X.org, which is what this mailing
list is about. Please continue further discussion off-list, at
askubuntu.com or answers.launchpad.net .

You can remount the root filesystem with
mount -o remount,rw /
. However, this will probably not work due to the file system being
damaged. Use
fsck -p /dev/sdaX
(fill in your root partition for "sdaX") to repair it (Chances are, you
may need to manually confirm some important changes). After a reboot,
the root filesystem should be mounted read-write.

If you can restore settings and data (Basically /etc/ , /home,
database/webserver directories in /var and dpkg --get-selections),
formatting the partition and reinstalling Ubuntu may actually be the
easier option though.

Regards,

Philipp