Weird issue and Can't open display

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon Mar 28 11:46:52 PDT 2011

On 3/28/11 2:40 PM, tsuraan wrote:
> I'm having this really bizarre and annoying problem lately with my X
> install (running KDE4.6 on top).  I'll be using my computer without
> problems, and then I will be unable to open any new windows.  If I go
> into an already-open terminal and attempt to run xeyes (or anything
> else), I get this message:
>
> tsuraan at localhost ~ $ xeyes
> No protocol specified
> Error: Can't open display: :0

Almost certainly what's happened is:

- your sole authentication method to the server is xauth cookies
- your xauth cookie record contains the hostname
- your hostname changed

Comparing the output of 'xauth list' and 'hostname' when this happens
would be enlightening.

But the better change is to use xhost +si:localuser:$(id -un) instead of
xauth.

- ajax