A request from the "Hackintosh" community

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon Mar 28 08:10:37 PDT 2011

On 3/26/11 9:06 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2011/03/26 17:29 (GMT+0530) Suresh.M composed:
>> we having a supermicro motherboard X8DTL-IF which has Matrox G200eW
>> vga chip and we are using RHEL 3 U8 AS version OS.
>
> This is old version from 2007? Why don't you try newer version? Newer
> version figure out which driver to use automatically.

Red Hat has no plans to update the Matrox video driver in Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 3 (or 4, for that matter).  The last
hardware-enablement update to XFree86 in RHEL3 was in 2006; any hardware
newer than that is very likely to be vesa-only, including the G200eW.

RHEL5 and later include native driver support for the embedded G200 series.

> Matrox G200 is very old, so driver it requires for Xorg or XFree86 has
> been available built into all Linux distro versions for many years.

This would be true, except that it's not what he's asking about.

Modern motherboards are shipping with new embedded variants of the G200
- like, for instance, the G200eW - which RHEL3 does _not_ know about.
Different PCI IDs and everything.  And apparently just to make
everybody's life difficult, each successive revision of the chip moves
the PLL setup registers and modifies the search algorithm, so you really
do have to build a very new mga driver to get support for them.

- ajax