xkb: how to map symbol Meta to key Alt [solved]

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Tue Mar 22 07:07:37 PDT 2011

On Tuesday 22 March 2011 09:18:34 Dirk Wallenstein wrote:

> The approach in your initial mail was right -- edit the keysym
> table of the key and add a modifier_map entry.  The only thing that
> confuses me is that you want to have Meta instead of
> ISO_Level3_Shift there.

Because I put Meta into ISO_Level3_Shift somewhere else, and it is not
dependant of my layout. Take a look at symbols, you will see such
files as altwin or capslock, which are dedicated to remap
alt/win/caps to other keys independently of national layout.

Luckily, I solved the problem (so far I used google with english
queries, today I checked if my countrymen had similar problem -- they
did). In order to change keycodes table, now you don't edit xfree86
file, but evdev -- that's it. This way I can permanently set Alt as
Meta, and this would work in all layouts I choose (USA, PL, RU).

Kind regards,