Debian 6 / Dual Nvidia Graphic Cards

combrown combrown at amnet.net.au
Sun Mar 20 20:17:52 PDT 2011

Hi Folks

Hope all is well out there.

I have recently  bitten the bullet and jumped back into the pool of Linux.

I will jump straight to it as you may had this before.

But I am having problems configuring two identical PCIe Gcards with Xorg
and configuring with xrandr.

I shall include certain outputs from certain commands.

lspci

returns both cards on there corresponding bus ids

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce
210] (rev a2)

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce
210] (rev a2)

xrandr 1.3

returns:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 3840 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192
DVI-I-1 connected 1920x1080+1920+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 477mm x 268mm
    1920x1080      60.0*+   60.0
    1680x1050      60.0
    1600x900       60.0
    1280x1024      75.0     60.0
    1280x960       60.0
    1152x864       75.0
    1280x720       60.0
    1152x720       60.0
    1024x768       75.1     60.0
    832x624        74.6
    800x600        75.0     60.3
    640x480        75.0     60.0
    720x400        70.1
DVI-D-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VGA-1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
477mm x 268mm
    1920x1080      60.0*+   60.0
    1680x1050      60.0
    1600x900       60.0
    1280x1024      75.0     60.0
    1280x960       60.0
    1152x864       75.0
    1280x720       60.0
    1152x720       60.0
    1024x768       75.1     60.0
    832x624        74.6
    800x600        75.0     60.3
    640x480        75.0     60.0
    720x400        70.1

An Xorg -configure

Fails and returns:

Number of screens does not match the number of devices detected or
something like that.
Sorry for the half hearted desciption.
Wanted to get this email out before changing my runlevel again and
producing the Xorg log file again.

Xorg appears to be using the NOUVEAU driver which from what I have read
is a little experimental in the hope to be more free and open.

Naturally correct me if my understanding is shot.

I am not bothered to much about 3d acceleration  as I have no desire for
gaming or the like these days.
Just need to provide network admin to people remotely and would like to
fire up my four monitors with a bit more control.

I have managed to get them to fire up whilst diddling with the Xorg.conf
file but cannot seem to get the second two screens to do anything other
than clone eachother.

I did read past distribution had xinerama, I guess the thing I am
looking for in this fast paced change of linux development is an easier
route to configuring these features without the need for major upheaval
of reinstalling and trial and error.

I do apologise however, since my knowledge of linux is still somewhat
limited.
Maybe when i know a bit more I will naturally be able to cope with this
fast changing scene.

Anyway thanks in advance to all, your input is much appreciated
especially your time.

Cheers for now.

neil