A question about fonts

Andersen, Jan jandersen at informatica.com
Thu Mar 10 00:14:39 PST 2011

So your problem is that the web browser you are using fails to display
all the glyphs?  That sounds like an issue with that application.  I
would think all main web browsers today would have proper font switching
support.  That is, if the font they are using does not support a
specific glyph, they will use a different font for that glyph.  A
possible complication could be if there is a font on the system that
claims to support the glyph but renders it as a "glyph-not-found" shape.
(I think I have seen that happen.)

It would probably make sense to take the question to the web browser's
forums.

(That isn't to say that X and related technologies (e.g. fontconfig)
can't be improved to make it easier for applications to do proper font
switching, of course.)

eirik

Thanks for helping, Eirik.

I'm not really sure the problem is the browser as such - the characters that are missing in the browser are also missing in the font when I look at them with Fontforge, and then there is the problem with a large number of them being outside the range of any single font. I suppose this is something you wouldn't really come across much unless you try to do something like what I am doing, where you systematically go through everything. Missing characters I simply fill in when I have time, so the only remaining problem is the sheer size of the set of characters.

So, I will go away and study fontconfig now. Thanks to everybody for being so patient with me.

/jan