xorg/randr dual head

Thomas L Marshall tlm at altmx.com
Fri Mar 4 12:26:16 PST 2011

Hi all.

I am using a GeForce 7600GT (dual dvi) video card with two 1920x1200
monitors in a dual head setup.  This configuration was working well with
the nvidia drivers using twinview and both monitors at 1920x1200

I have now switched to the nouveau driver (xorg 1.9.4 and xrandr 1.3.4).

I have been successful configuring dual monitors side by side using
RightOf in the xorg.conf.  This works very well with both monitors at
1600x1200 and even with one monitor at 1920x1200 and the other at
1600x1200.  Also, I can run both monitors at 1920 mirrored.

The issue I am having is that I cannot get both monitors side-by-side at
1920x1200 on both displays.  When I set the preferredmode of both
monitors to 1920x1200 and restart X, I get a working mouse pointer
(starting with an hourglass) but the desktop, background and everything
else is badly corrupted.  If I set either or both to a preferredmode of
1600x1200, all is well again.

I am wondering if anyone else has run into this issue, if it is a know
bug or limitation, if it is related to the video card, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Tom