[ANNOUNCE] xf86-input-fpit 1.4.0

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Jun 27 15:24:01 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:48:55PM +0200, Piotr Gluszenia Slawinski wrote:
> Thanx for maintaining the driver.
> AFAIK kernel input driver does not exist, and this is one of last
> resort to make one enjoy wonders of X.
>
> ad. testing - i still use much older version , which works fine,
> except pointer goes crazy under heavy load sometimes. it seems that
> it's serial port is polled, and machines have issues with acpi timer
> sources, which in combination makes bit of disaster. either way it's
> useable on fujitsu stylistic 2300 i happen to own.
>
> btw. recently i've thought of standarising such old devices by
> hardware hacking , i.e. to insert 'standariser' device inbetween
> computer and problem device like some once-released-never-maintained
> tablet, mouse, etc. such device would be simple transcoding
> microcontroller.
> ofc. for devices like tablets or laptops this is still not really
> applicable, as it's difficult to hack something like this inside...
>
> one of problems with such thing though is that there are not really
> 'standard' devices , i.e. each of them is related to some vendor ,
> and any of them is not de facto 'standard'.

the "standard" is pretty much defined by what the driver can take. If it
can't parse the protocol then the device is rather useless anyway.
but really, writing a serial kernel driver is rather trivial and has a
higher chance of actually working long-term than dragging the old input
drivers along.

Cheers,
  Peter