EXA performance issue

prudhvi raj prudhviraj.v at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 06:51:50 PDT 2011

Hello,

I am trying to improve the rendering speed of web-pages using webkit with
gtk-x11 backend.
In order to make use of the acceleration provided by EXA, i have hooked the
solid, copy and composite hooks provided by EXA with my hardware
implementation.
And when i tested the performance using some X11 application that creates a
simple pixmap and copies it to a window multiple times
using XCopyArea(), then the performance gain is quite good. I have got 6-8x
performance gain.

When we consider the web-page scrolling scenario, i guess it also must be
making a call to XCopyArea() only finally to bitblit the entire window
contents during scrolling.
But when i test the performance using some auto scrolling webpage on my
web-browser app, if EXA is enabled its getting worse.

According to my observation, if the pixmap migration is explicitly made OFF,
then the performance is at par with that of EXA-Disabled case.
This suggests that during the cases in which EXA fallbacks, most of the time
consumed in system to video memory copy is killing the performance.

My question is, Is EXA really provides some performance gain in cases like
web-page rendering??
If yes, am i missing on some implementation part??
Can the migration mechanism of EXA be improved to suit the web-page
rendering scenarios??
What kind of practical applications are considered to be improved by EXA??