dead keys not working at all?

Adrien "Pied" Piérard axioplase+xorg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 19:18:00 PDT 2011

Hello James,

2011/7/26 James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com>:
> The likely cause is that the Compose table is not found.
> Try tracing (IIRC, on FreeBSD it would be ktrace(8)) an app.  Does it
> look for Compose files?  Does the install directory match where it looked?

Thanks for your intuition. I think we're getting closer.
When I ktrace `xev`, it loads $HOME/.XCompose, as the trace shows.
However, if I trace `xterm`, the ".XCompose" string doesn't appear in
the dump at all, nor "compose-cache" or anything like that.
Why would `xev` load it, but not other apps?

> Do you have any external Input Method apps running?  They would override
> the one built in to libX11.

I do run ibus.
And indeed, when I comment it from .xinitrc, I can get my dead keys back.
It seems to be a bug in ibus, that has been mentioned already two
years ago, and never solved.
Now, I need to know why I don't have this problem on another computer
(Debian/GNU Linux and ibus…).

Cheers,

P!