dead keys not working at all?

Troy Korjuslommi tjk at tksoft.com
Mon Jul 25 01:20:44 PDT 2011

xev is also an X app. Can you please clarify whether xev displays the
correct output? I.e. displays the desired character on the line where it
says "XLookupString {something}"?

Also, do you have a locale set which has the characters you want?

The compose file used must have the dead_acute+{letter} combination set.
If not, things won't work. It gets picked up by the keyboard layout
configs. I.e. a suitable keyboard layout must also have a suitable
compose file.

Try doing the following:
1. set locale to one with the characters you want.
2. set keyboard layout to one with the dead_acute key.
3. login again and try xev and your regular app.

Troy