How do I select a default visual

Kotaru, Raj Raj.Kotaru at acs-inc.com
Mon Jul 11 11:26:44 PDT 2011

I am running Fedora 14 on a HP PC.  The video is "Intel Corporation
82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller".

I need to run a legacy application that requires an 8 bit Pseudocolor
default visual.   It uses overlay visuals and requires a writable color
map.

I edited "xorg.conf" as follows:

Output of Xdpyinfo gives me an 8 bit pseudocolor visual, but this is not
the default.  Is there an option that lets me choose the default visual?

Thanks

Raj

Xorg.conf sample:

Section "Device"

        Identifier  "Card0"

        Driver      "intel"

        BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

        Identifier "Screen0"

        Device     "Card0"

        Monitor    "Monitor0"

        DefaultDepth    8

        SubSection "Display"

                Viewport   0 0

                Depth     8

                Visual    "PseudoColor"

        EndSubSection

EndSection

Xdpyinfo output:

screen #0:

  dimensions:    1680x1050 pixels (480x300 millimeters)

  resolution:    89x89 dots per inch

  depths (4):    1, 8, 12, 24

  root window id:    0x36

  depth of root window:    24 planes

  number of colormaps:    minimum 8183, maximum 8183

  default colormap:    0x20

  default number of colormap cells:    256

  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 16777215

  largest cursor:    32x32

  current input event mask:    0x70203c

    ButtonPressMask          ButtonReleaseMask        EnterWindowMask

    LeaveWindowMask          ButtonMotionMask
SubstructureRedirectMask

    FocusChangeMask          PropertyChangeMask

  number of visuals:    4

  default visual id:  0x24

  visual:

    visual id:    0x21

    class:    PseudoColor

    depth:    8 planes

    available colormap entries:    256

    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0

    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

  visual:

    visual id:    0x22

    class:    StaticGray

    depth:    8 planes

    available colormap entries:    256

    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0

    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

  visual:

    visual id:    0x23

    class:    PseudoColor

    depth:    12 planes

    available colormap entries:    4096

    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0

    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

  visual:

    visual id:    0x24

    class:    TrueColor

    depth:    24 planes

    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield

    red, green, blue masks:    0xff, 0xff00, 0xff0000

    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits~