evdev fails with "Couldn't open mtdev device"

Florian Echtler floe at butterbrot.org
Mon Jul 11 02:24:28 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to configure a secondary X server for an auxiliary touchscreen,
but I'm having some problems with the input configuration. To keep input
for my main screen and the auxiliary screen separate, I'm using the
following config for the secondary one:

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier "mimoTouch"
         Driver "evdev"
 	Option "CorePointer" "true"B
         Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
         Option "AllowEmptyInput" "true"
         Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
         Option "AutoEnableDevices" "false"
EndSection

The idea is that the secondary server doesn't touch any devices from the
primary, just the statically configured touchscreen device. However, I'm
getting the following error (the touchscreen is single-touch):

(II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'mimoTouch'
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) mimoTouch: always reports core events
(**) mimoTouch: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
(EE) mimoTouch: Couldn't open mtdev device
(EE) ioctl EVIOCGNAME failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
(EE) PreInit returned 8 for "mimoTouch"
(II) Unloading evdev

On the other hand, when I set AutoAddDevices to true, then evdev handles
the touchscreen just fine:

(II) config/udev: Adding input device e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel
(/dev/input/event8)
(**) e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel: Applying InputClass "evdev
touchscreen catchall"
(II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel'
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
(**) e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel: always reports core events
(**) e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel: Device: "/dev/input/event8"
(--) e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel: Found absolute axes
(II) evdev-grail: failed to open grail, no gesture support
(--) e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel: Found x and y absolute axes
(--) e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel: Found absolute touchscreen
(II) e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel: Configuring as touchscreen
(**) e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel: EmulateWheelButton: 4,
EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(**) Option "config_info"
"udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/2-2/2-2.3/2-2.3:1.0/input/input31/event8"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "e2i Technology, Inc. USB
Touchpanel" (type: TOUCHSCREEN)
(II) e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel: initialized for absolute axes.
(**) e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel: (accel) keeping acceleration
scheme 1
(**) e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel: (accel) acceleration profile 0
(**) e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel: (accel) acceleration factor:
2.000
(**) e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel: (accel) acceleration threshold:
4

So my question is: what do I have to do to get the static config to work
just like the auto-added config? OS is stock Ubuntu 11.04.

Thanks,
Florian
--
"_Nothing_ brightens up my morning. Coffee simply provides a shade of
grey just above the pitch-black of the infinite depths of the _abyss_."