Configuration of MPX - xorg.conf sample?

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Jul 4 14:45:42 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 02:56:29AM +0300, Igor 'Lo' (И.L.) wrote:
> Can anyone share a piece of working multi-pointer configuration which
> will let me see and manage input devices with xinput?
> Using a plain InputDevice (kdb, mouse) sections, need help with
> switching to Xinput2.
>
> http://live.gnome.org/Metacity/MpxHowto and some other manuals are
> having dead links to xorg.conf, thus no useful example.
>
> Please CC me when answering.

you don't need an xorg.conf. Provided you have multiple input devices
(which you will have in the default configuration), you can just reassign
them to new pointers on-the-fly.

xinput list (for the list of devices)

xinput create-master "some name" # new pair of master devices
xinput reattach "my mouse" "some name pointer"
xinput reattach "my keyboard" "some name keyboard"

with the names replaced with your device names of course. There is no
static configuration in the xorg.conf available for this, it's run-time
only.

Cheers,
  Peter