Intel (Xorg-7.6): No kernel modesetting driver detected

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 11:51:50 PST 2011

2011/1/20 Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki at gmail.com>:
> Ubuntu's 2.6.37 kernel config as the basis, so CONFIG_DRM_I915=m and
> CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y are there.
>
> The kernel in use is edp-fixes-2 and I also gave him drm-intel-fixes
> one with the same result. Only vesa driver works for him for now.

Just to not leave loose ends, for some reason I needed to instruct the
person I'm helping with also add i915.modeset=1 to the kernel
bootline. Meanwhile I also switched to drm-intel-next, which, if I
understood correctly, has a bit different set of fixes than
edp-fixes-2. I'll have him test also the edp-fixes-2 branch at some
point, since that would be closer to a released kernel than the
current drm-intel-next. Of course, having the proper set of patches in
2.6.37.x would be nice as well.

-Timo