Intel (Xorg-7.6): No kernel modesetting driver detected

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Mon Jan 24 17:12:24 PST 2011

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:01:57 -0600 (CST), alupu at verizon.net wrote:
> For some reason, the boot parameter you suggested (grub excerpt):
>         "kernel /boot/LFSkernel root=/dev/sda3 i915.modeset=1"
> does not work.  The system remains "regular" (non-KMS), thus the
> Original Post (problem)

Then your modprobe is not parsing the command line for any relevant
module parameters and would need to put those into
'echo options i915 modeset=1 > /etc/modprobe.d/i915-modeset.conf'

> Is there a way, once up in KMS, to "dynamically" switch to my old
> "VGA Text" mode (from this crazy 240x67) and, ideally, back to KMS too?

look at Documentation/fb/modedb.txt for a description of the video=
parameter to specify the mode for the console. Something like
video=640x480 will restore the VGA mode with 80x25 characters.
-Chris