Replacing the I-beam cursor system wide.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 17:04:55 PST 2011

On Tuesday, January 18, 2011 07:58:58 pm Thomas Dickey did opine:

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> man xterm (resources)
> >>
> >>         pointerMode (class PointerMode)
> >>
> >>                 Specifies when the pointer may be hidden as the user
> >>
> >> types.  It will be redisplayed if the user moves the mouse, or clicks
> >> one of its buttons.
> >>
> >>                 0  never
> >>
> >>                 1  the  application  running  in  xterm has not
> >>
> >> activated mouse mode.  This is the default.
> >>
> >>                 2  always.
> >>
> >>         pointerShape (class Cursor)
> >>
> >>                 Specifies the name of the shape of the pointer.  The
> >>
> >> default is "xterm."
> >
> > That it is, but where is the list and description of the other options
> > so that we can make considered choices?
>
> The list is buried away in X's documentation (as suggested, google can
> help).  Since you want a smaller cursor, I also pasted in the part of
> xterm's manpage which shows that you can hide the cursor - that's
> simpler.

True I guess, but I may see if I can dig up the list of choices.  My fav is
a bright red, outlined and shadowed arrow, but on a text screen it reverts
to the I-Beam.  On the arrow, I know the hit point is not more than 1 teeny
pixel away from the tip of the arrow.

Thanks Thomas.

--
Cheers, Gene