Replacing the I-beam cursor system wide.

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Tue Jan 18 10:47:38 PST 2011

>>>>> "r" == rhubarbpieguy  <rhubarbpieguy at gmail.com> writes:

r> Is it possible to replace the I-beam cursor system wide through X?

Sure.  You need to change the (server-side) cursor font used by older
applications and also change the cursor theme used by most newer apps.

Google should point to decent explanations of how to do those.

You probably want to start by editing your favourite cursor theme
to use something other than a I-beam in that spot (I beleive that
cursor's name is 'xterm') and re-generate it.  You may find that
to be sufficient for your needs.

-JimC