Replacing the I-beam cursor system wide.

rhubarbpieguy at gmail.com rhubarbpieguy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 15:35:10 PST 2011

Is it possible to replace the I-beam cursor system wide through X?

In explanation, years ago I suggested (to deafening silence), that Open
Office offer a block/blinking block or underscore/blinking underscore
cursor.  However, I'd prefer no I-beam cursor in any application
(browser, spreadsheet, email ... you name it).  If I understand
correctly, X displays what the application directs.  Would it be
possible to amend X to display a different cursor anytime it's directed
by the application to display the I-beam?