Multiple X server on one card... it is possible?

Lóránt Farkas farkaslory at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 01:06:21 PST 2011

I have a Radeon HD4650 with (radeon module with KMS on a Gentoo). My
question is: It is possible to run multiple X servers, one on the VGA output
ans one on DVI output?

I would like to run mythtv on my tv, Now mythtv is run on a standalone  X
server which "device" section point to my Hauppauge 350 framebuffer.  But
recently I got a new LCD tv and I wonder whether it is possible to run 2
separate X servers with one radeon card? I have tried to configure the Xorg
server (1.7.7) but i have failed to implement this.

I have managed to implement one X server with two "screen" with two
different "device" section one with the monitor and one with the tv, but
this is not as comfortable as the separate X screens. The problem is when I
try to start the second X server then I get error message that the server
cannot open /dev/dri/card0. In other words: two different "device" and
"screen" section worked if they belonged to the same X server but they
didn't worked if one of the screen were assigned to an another server.

So although I'm sure it is technically possible, to run multiple X servers
with one card, I cannot configure the X server to do this.

Have anyone any suggestion or comment?

P.S.: During my trials I have also noticed that the zaphodheads option on
radeon is also working well with one server and two different device/screen
but fetch all the input for one server if these two screens belong to 2
different servers.