Custom font format

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Jan 10 04:51:57 PST 2011

Le Lun 10 janvier 2011 12:59, Michael Thalmeier a écrit :

> Hi !
> We are currently developing an application that is using xlib directly for
> all the drawing operations.
> Our problem is, that we have a huge library of fonts in a custom font
> format, that is currently not supported by the x server.
> Does anybody know what would be the best way to deal with such custom font
> formats ?

Convert them to a standard OpenType format and access them through
pango/cairo/harfbuzz+fontconfig+freetype. You don't want to bypass the normal
font stack. It's hugely complex, and reimplementing part of it will cost you a
lot more than converting fonts (or switching fonts). You also don't want to
use the legacy core fonts backend (people who used to work on it dropped it as
unmaintainable almose a decade ago). Save yourself pain, and just use normal
codepaths others will maintain and enhance for you.

--
Nicolas Mailhot