local xkb layouts

Stefan Witzel s.witzel at gmx.net
Wed Jan 5 05:41:16 PST 2011

Hello,

is it possible to extend the system-wide xkb layout database by
user-specific files. And if not: why is that?
I ran into this problem because I want a german
"deadgraveacutecircum"-layout in which grave acute and circumflex are
dead but tilde is not. But on systems where I am not administrator I
cannot install this. And even on systems where I am administrator I
would have to renew my changes after every upgrade.
Would the "right" way to do it be to use the standard layout (with dead
tilde) and then use a .Xmodmap? Every time I tried that I got strange
effects when switching between multiple xkb layouts.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Best,
Stefan