Documentation

Corbin Simpson mostawesomedude at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 11:39:39 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Piotr Gluszenia Slawinski
<curious at bwv190.internetdsl.tpnet.pl> wrote:
>> Nima Sahraneshin <unix.nima at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I want to write a program based on X .I need some documentation about
>>> X (using X) .
>>
>> Assuming that you want to make an "ordinary" application that is going
>> to run under X, you really want to use a toolkit.  These days, Qt
>> (http://qt.nokia.com/) and Gtk (http://www.gtk.org/) are probably the
>> best alternatives.
>>
>> They are much easier to work with than coding directly for X, and they
>> do a lot of things for you that is otherwise a royal pain to get right.
>
> they both have serious shortcomings, and bugs, which make
> target application either non-functional after routine API changes (nokia)
> or bloated, buggy and slow (gtk).
>
> coding either directly for X or using lighter toolkits (i.e. fltk)
> has some point, and saves royal withdrawal after royal painkillers.

Are you *seriously* recommending that people code raw Xlib? I can
understand if you yourself are a masochist, but please, don't make
other people suffer just because you have bad taste.

--
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir? ~ Keynes

Corbin Simpson
<MostAwesomeDude at gmail.com>