Documentation

Piotr Gluszenia Slawinski curious at bwv190.internetdsl.tpnet.pl
Mon Jan 3 09:28:07 PST 2011

> Nima Sahraneshin <unix.nima at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I want to write a program based on X .I need some documentation about
>> X (using X) .
>
> Assuming that you want to make an "ordinary" application that is going
> to run under X, you really want to use a toolkit.  These days, Qt
> (http://qt.nokia.com/) and Gtk (http://www.gtk.org/) are probably the
> best alternatives.
>
> They are much easier to work with than coding directly for X, and they
> do a lot of things for you that is otherwise a royal pain to get right.

they both have serious shortcomings, and bugs, which make
target application either non-functional after routine API changes (nokia)
or bloated, buggy and slow (gtk).

coding either directly for X or using lighter toolkits (i.e. fltk)
has some point, and saves royal withdrawal after royal painkillers.