unix domain socket used for X

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon Feb 28 07:10:49 PST 2011

On 2/25/11 2:02 AM, Han wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a beginner question:  how does X use the Unix domain socket?
> For example: /tmp/.X11-unix/X5  for display :5 .  It seems for larget
> applications, there are lots of open / close on that socket during one
> run (for example, firefox).  Is that normal?

That's the socket that is used for communication with the X server.
It's expected that an X app open it at least once.  Multiple times is a
little odd, but in the case of firefox it's typical for things like the
flash plugin to open their own display connections.  (So typical, in
fact, that at this point the usual reason for an X server to hit the
maximum client limit is the flash plugin losing its mind and eating all
the connections.)

- ajax