ssh -Y -l user etc,etc

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Feb 24 19:35:41 PST 2011

On Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:23:08 pm Glynn Clements did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> > So that probably explains where the 10.0 is coming from, but not where
> > I might change it?  That seems to be the $64k question...
>
> Why do you need to change it?

Because its not working? :)

> The actual display number is determined
> by the X11DisplayOffset setting in the sshd_config file. sshd
> allocates display numbers for X proxies starting at that value. The
> default is 10, which is enough to ensure that the numbers won't
> conflict with real X displays on any normal system.
>
> Note that if you change DISPLAY manually (via "export"), you may also
> need to update the X authentication credentials with xauth.

I recall I did have to use xauth at one time, years ago.  Unforch, no man
pages for it are installed, and the --help output is criminally concise.

If I do an 'xauth list', it only spits out one cookie, for the wap11 at
*.*.*.100 on my local network.

> By default sshd will only accept connections on the loopback address
> (127.0.0.1). If you try to connect to coyote:10, the connection will
> probably use another address (i.e. the address assigned to the
> physical network adapter) and be refused. You can change this
> behaviour via X11UseLocalhost in sshd_config, but in the absence of
> some form of firewall, that will allow other hosts on the network to
> connect to the X proxy.

X11UseLocalHost is
#X11UseLocalhost yes in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
commented out.  Does changing that need a reboot?

Thanks Glynn.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)