Xorg -configure questions

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Feb 24 11:46:37 PST 2011

On Thursday, February 24, 2011 02:31:26 pm Alan Coopersmith did opine:

> On 02/24/11 11:00 AM, gene heskett wrote:

> >> Drop the first two steps and startx with no xorg.conf.
> >>
> >> There's no point creating one if you're not going to change any
> >> settings from the defaults, just let the server run with the
> >> defaults from its autoconfiguration.
> >
> > This is not always the magic twanger, Alan.  With no xorg.conf, it
> > insists on using the ati drivers if they are installed, for an ati
> > card.  Or the nv drivers for an nvidia card.  This is deadly to the
> > performance of an rtai based application such as emc.  So we must
> > make enough of an xorg.conf to specify the vesa driver, which has no
> > or very little effect on rtai latencies and gives us more than
> > adequate video to carve whatever we can write gcode to do.
> > Admittedly, this is a 'narrow' application, but it should be
> > considered.
>
> That falls under "changing the settings from the defaults" - if you read
> what I said "if you're not going to change any settings from the
> defaults" you'll see no conflicts between my advice and your
> requirements.

True, but its the defaults that ate my lunch, and wrecked a part and $20
worth of tooling when the control response went from milliseconds to 3+
seconds because the wrong video driver was automatically used after a
reboot requiring upgrade. I expected a normal reboot, entered my passwd and
went for coffee in the house.  The screen looked normal when I returned 5
minutes later.

> Though if you want the vesa driver, the above instructions are also the
> wrong way to do it - you wouldn't run Xorg -configure, you'd just run

Chuckle, that would be simpler had I known about it at the time, but in my
case I found a backup-date file that was correct and copied it back.  I may
just set the i bit on the file, simpler and I don't have to depend on
medium term memory to fix it the next time the *buntu update mechanism gets
uppity.  As I'm on my 77th trip around this star, the memory for such
details seems to fade in 2 or 3 weeks of non-use. Thats a major PIMA.  :-\

My poor memory is not your fault of course...

> cat > /etc/X11/xorg.conf << _EOF
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Card0"
>         Driver      "vesa"
> EndSection
> _EOF
>
> Though I just ship a /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.vesa in my xorg packages so
> that you don't even need to that, just "Xorg :0 -config xorg.conf.vesa",
> but not all packagers do so.

Thank you Alan, I was not aware of that, and it would appear that the
*buntu's strip that bit of usability as that file is not present on that
machine.  Bad dog, no biscuit...  Sigh.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)