ssh -Y -l user etc,etc

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Feb 23 13:45:49 PST 2011

On Wednesday, February 23, 2011 04:30:52 pm Adam Jackson did opine:

> On 2/22/11 11:11 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> > Where can I find a good tutorial on making this Just Work(TM) when the
> > user numbers are disparate, as they will be between a debian based
> > system and the rest of the world.  I did have this working 6 months
> > ago, but every time *buntu updates the ssh stuff on the LTS releases,
> > it all goes away again.
>
> You're going to have to be a lot more precise than that about what kind
> of problems you're seeing.  I routinely ssh forward X connections
> between accounts with differing UIDs on different machines, nothing more
> complicated than ssh -Y needed.
>
> - ajax

In this case, emc is not running on the target, ubuntu machine.  I launch
it from this ssh -Y login, see the initial splash image, which goes away
after its initial timeout, and the cli then reports it couldn't get a
screen, so the whole thing exits.

The failure messages are somewhat less than worthless (to me at any rate)
but it does write a pair of files:

=================
RUN_IN_PLACE=no
EMC2_DIR=
EMC2_BIN_DIR=/usr/bin
EMC2_TCL_DIR=/usr/share/emc/tcl
EMC2_SCRIPT_DIR=
EMC2_RTLIB_DIR=/usr/realtime-2.6.32-122-rtai/modules/emc2
EMC2_CONFIG_DIR=
EMC2_LANG_DIR=/usr/share/emc/tcl/msgs
INIVAR=inivar
HALCMD=halcmd
EMC2_EMCSH=/usr/bin/wish8.5
Using previous inifile: /home/gene/emc2/configs/genes-mill/genes-mill.ini
INIFILE=/home/gene/emc2/configs/genes-mill/genes-mill.ini
PARAMETER_FILE=emc.var
EMCMOT=motmod
EMCIO=io
TASK=milltask
HALUI=
DISPLAY=axis
NML_FILE=
Starting EMC2 server program: emcsvr
Starting EMC2 IO program: io
Starting EMC2 TASK program: milltask
Starting EMC2 DISPLAY program: axis
Killing task emcsvr, PID=3395
Killing task milltask, PID=3441
Removing HAL_LIB, RTAPI, and Real Time OS modules
Removing NML shared memory segments
===================

That is one of them, here is the other:

=========================
3395
  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
3441
  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
Stopping realtime threads
Unloading hal components
===========

Real informative.  NOT!

Now, the fix that did make it work before is still there:

gene at shop:~/emc2/configs/genes-mill$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0

So, do I need to add something to this machine?  Its running pclos-32 bit,
2010, uptodate except for tar as 1.24 and 1.25 are broken and will not work
with amanda.

What happens if I change $DISPLAY to = coyote.coyote.den:10.0
That is this machine, or I could use this machines IP too, but then either
marries it to this machine only, not a real fix IMO.

Any other ideas?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)