EXTERNAL: Re: Driver Question - evdev

Johnson, Je je.johnson at lmco.com
Thu Feb 10 11:10:43 PST 2011

Thanks Peter...

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Korsgaard [mailto:jacmet at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Peter Korsgaard
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:08 PM
To: Johnson, Je
Cc: xorg at freedesktop.org
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: Driver Question - evdev

Hi,

 Je> I?ve got a Barco monitor that I?m using the touch screen
 Je> configuration.  I?ve got a couple of questions concerning the
 Je> configuration:

Out of interest, what monitor is this?

 Je> 1.  The ?xorg.conf? was setup to use the ?evdev? driver and it?s
 Je> working.  But I?m not sure how the startup of ?X? is calling this
 Je> driver? I do not see with ?lsmod? that the driver is loaded?

Don't confuse the kernel evdev interface (/dev/input/eventX) with the X
evdev input driver.

 Je> 2.  When I disable/enable or turn off the monitor the
 Je> ?/dev/input/event#?  changes and I have to update the xorg.conf
 Je> file and restart X. Any other way to handle these changing events?

Yes, if you unplug (or turn off) the monitor the touchscreen gets
disconnected. Like Adam says, if this is a singlehead setup then you can
match on product/vendor id. For multihead we don't have any really good
options yet (see recent discussion on xorg-devel).

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard