how can one build X without libxcb, or libxcb without python, or python without tcl/tk, or tcl/tk without X ?

matti christensen mattic at iki.fi
Sat Feb 5 12:55:52 PST 2011

i'm new with this list but compiled X on Linux from Linux kernel
1.2.13 - and now i have my first real problem as i downloaded source
from http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.6/src/everything/ =

- it seems to me that i'm unable to compile libX 1.4.0 without libxcb
- that's perfectly ok for me, but do i need libxcb is unclear ( i have
SiS 315PRO on Lemote Fuloong 2F )

- it appears to me that i'm not able to compile libxcb 1.7 without
Python ( which i do not need or want on my system )

- it also looked lot like impossible to build Python 2.7.1 without
TCL/TK ( which i do not need or want on my system )

- as tried to compile TK 8.5.9 i bumbed to errors telling me i ought
to have X on my system ....

would some nice person be kind enough to give me some feedback and
comments on this ( using some package management system is no answer
as i have no and am not going to install any )

matti christensen

keep-IT-simple