system locks when exiting X with radeon driver

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Feb 2 02:15:48 PST 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 04:46 -0400, Joseph Mingrone wrote:
> I'm running the latest xorg (7,5) compiled from ports on FreeBSD 8.2
> RC2 and everything is working fine, but when I shutdown X, the system
> locks every time.  This happens when I start X with no configuration
> file or the configuration file below with either the ati or radeon
> driver.  If I switch to the vesa driver the problem stops, but of
> course performance drops (scrolling text, windows, etc. lag).
>
> The relevant lines ffom pciconf -lv are
>
> [CODE]vgapci0 at pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x17721043
> chip=0x4e501002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc. / Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.'
>     device     = 'ATI MOBILITY /ATI RADEON 9600/9700 Series (M10)'
>     class      = display
>     subclass   = VGA[/CODE]
>
> [URL="http://pastebin.com/my0zgUmX"]Xorg.0.log when using no
> configuration file[/URL]
> [URL="http://pastebin.com/0YMaAnZn"]Xorg.0.log when using the
> configure file below[/URL]
> [URL="http://pastebin.com/rTEX8b5g"]xorg.conf[/URL]

Please attach files directly rather than referencing external resources,
particularly volatile ones such as pastebins.

> I've seen similar posts, which suggestion disabling dri, setting
> various values for AccelMethod, setting different values for AGPMode
> or using Option    "BusType" "PCI". I've tried all these, bu they
> don't solve the problem.
>
> Any suggestions?

Not sure what to suggest other than trying a current Git snapshot of the
driver.

Please elaborate a bit on what exactly 'the system locks' means though.
Does it not even respond to ping? Or if it does, can you log in via
ssh? ...